Baked Samosas

I love samosas..who doesn't?  But I hate the idea of heating up a ton of oil and standing there deep frying them.  It's so time consuming.  So I was so excited when I saw a recipe for Baked Samosas on Aarti Paarti.  It looked so simply and so fast to make.  I had never heard of ajwain seeds.  My mom had some so I took some for her to try it out.  It gave the samosas such a wonderful aroma.  I didn't make the mango chicken chipotle filling Aarti did because it seemed like too much work, my husband doesn't like chipotle and I was scared of what those flavors combined would taste like.  So I just did a potato and pea filling.  You could put any filling you want inside.  For the dough I didn't have a couple of the ingredients...cake flour and buttermilk.  For the cake flour I used all-purpose but just used less.  For the buttermilk I substituted yogurt.  I've also made these using plain old 2% milk and they turned out good.  The filling posted below is for double the dough recipe.

Note: My cumin-coriander powder is 1 part cumin to 1.5 part coriander.



Baked Samosas
Adapted from Aarti Paarti
Printer Friendly

Yields 8 samosas

1 cup minus 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 cup yogurt or milk
1/4 cup canola oil
big pinch of salt
1/2 tsp ajwain seeds

Filling (enough for 16 samosas):
3 potatoes, diced into small cubes
1/2 to 1 cup frozen peas
1 tsp canola oil
1/2 tsp cumin-coriander powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
salt to taste

For the dough:
Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl.  Mix together and then knead for 5 minutes.  Allow the dough to rest for 15 minutes.  You can put this in the fridge but let it rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.

Filling:
Boil the potatoes in water until soft.  Drain.  Heat the oil and add the cumin-coriander powder, cayenne and salt.  Fry for about 1 minute.  Add the frozen peas and cook until defrosted.  Add the potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.  Allow to come to room temperature.

Making the samosas:
Pre-heat oven to 425F

Fill a small bowl with some water.

Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces.  Take one piece, roll into a circle 1/8' thick, 7' wide.  Cut into 2 semi circles.  Place the semi-circle so the straight side is facing away from you.  Put about a tablespoon of filling in the centre of the semi-circle.  Moisten the edges with a little bit of water.  Fold the left corner over the filling in a triangular motion.  Repeat with the right corner.  Seal the edges pressing with a fork.  Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.  Repeat with the remaining dough.

Bake for 15 minutes.  Turn samosas over.  Reduce temperature to 375F and bake for 10 more minutes.  Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Love the Baked Samosas idea...all the yummy without the guilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious....send some my way next time you make them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love samosa, and yours sound so delicious. Great idea to bake instead of fried, healthier. Thank you for being a part of March's YBR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was popular for baking samosas in my friend circle which I no longer do. Because I am gluten free from last 4 years and I love being that. When I cam to your blog and saw it on popular posts,I could not stop commenting and joining your blog. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love baked samosa. In fact, one of my popular posts is my baked samosa post.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Tacos {Remake}