Banana Bread

When Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook came out I would go to Coles at lunch time and just look at the pictures.  I love to bake and wished  I could make my bake goods look even half as good as the ones in the cookbook.  Sometimes it takes me so long to make even the smallest decision.  I kept going back and forth if I should buy this cookbook...would I really use it or would it sit and collect dust....I had told my husband how I kept going to the bookstore to just look at the pictures in this book.  It was quite pricey...$50 for a cookbook.  I started considering if I should buy it online because books online are a lot cheaper.  A week passed and before I could decide what to do my husband had bought it for me!  I have to say it is one of my favorite gifts.  This recipe is from that cookbook.  I made a couple of changes.  The original recipe has coconut and nuts.  I don't like coconut and nuts in baked goods.  I also reduced the amount of vanilla since I had removed a significant amount of ingredients.  This recipe makes 2 loaves.  I only have one loaf pan so I bake it in my bundt pan.



Making this bread also usually results in me giving my husband a lecture.  He loves the top crust.  Whenever he has some he cuts it in some weird way to maximize the amount of top crust.  This drives me insane.  I had to cut 2 slices before I good get a decent piece to take a picture of.  Anyways, my nagging has not resulted in any change in how this banana bread is cut.  It reminds me of how me and my brother banned my father from cutting Puran Puri (an Indian dessert made from lentil that is a big circle and cut into pieces to eat).  He would cut it in the most weird ways...sometimes like it was a pie.  It should be cut in squares...simple.

I hope you give this a try.  It's very easy to make and makes quite a lot, although it doesn't last very long in our home.


Banana Bread
Adapted from Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp vanilla powder
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 1/3 cup canola oil
3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup buttermilk (I mixed 1/2 tbsp lemon juice and enough milk to make 1/2 cup and let sit for a few minutes)

Preheat oven to 350 F.   Grease 2 loaf pans or one bundt pan.  Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and vanilla powder.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, mix together eggs, sugar and canola oil on medium-low speed until combined.  Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until just combined.  Add the bananas and buttermilk.  Beat on medium until just combined.  Pour into prepared pans and bake for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Let cool 10 minutes in the pan.  Remove from pans and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.

4 comments:

  1. That's so funny about the weird cutting! I was asking Burket about how you and him would get mad at your Dad for cutting the puran into pie pieces and he started to laugh and ask how I knew...LOL!! Ok so this cake sounds yummy but I love coconut and nuts in baked goods so can you please pass on the original recipe to me?? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Asiya...what if I don't have an electric mixer? I really want to try this. I love banana bread but often come across ones that don't taste too good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Reshma: You need 1 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut and 1 cup walnuts/pecans, lightly toasted and finely chopped. You would add it with the bananas. Also increase vanilla to 2 tbsp.

    @ Ayesha: You can also use a hand mixer. But if you don't have that use a whisk for mixing the wet ingredients and then just use a wooden spoon for the rest of the mixing. A mixer makes this really quick to make but it is doable even without one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First time here,love to follow ur blog...Delicious recipes,Do visit mine if time permits...

    www.premascook.com

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Tacos {Remake}