Veal Roulade with a Pepper and Mushroom Stuffing

I still have to finish off that huge packet of mushrooms I got from Costco so I thought I would make veal roulades.



I've been wanting to make this for a while but every time I would tell the butcher I want paper thin pasanday they didn't seem to understand. When we switched butchers they actually understood.  I adapted this from a recipe I saw in Canadian Living magazine.  I usually use one of those packet gravies to serve with this. When I was done cooking the roulades I had a lot of pan juices left over so I decided to try to make a gravy using a Joy Of Cooking recipe as a guideline.  But my gravy had lumps in it.  I didn't do a good job when making the roux.

Veal Roulade with a Pepper and Mushroom Stuffing
Adapted from Canadian Living
Printer Friendly

1 pound veal pasanday, trimmed of fat and pounded with a mallet
1 tsp meat tenderizer

1 tbsp canola oil
1/2 red pepper, finely chopped
2 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms
2 shallots, minced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cups basil, minced (first measure, then mince)

2 tbsp butter , melted
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 tsp of salt and freshly ground black pepper

Marinate the pasanday with the meat tenderizer overnight.

Preheat the oven to 450 F. Heat the oil, then add the shallots, garlic, red pepper, mushrooms, dried thyme, salt and pepper. Cook until the liquid is gone. Remove from heat and let cool. Add the minced basil.


Lay the pasanday flat.  I had 9 fillets.  Divide the filling amongst all the fillets.


Roll each fillet and place on a lightly greased, foil lined tray.  Combine the butter, garlic, salt and pepper.  Brush over all the roulades.  Bake for about 30 minutes, or until meat is tender.




Gravy
2 tbsp pan drippings
2 tbsp flour
Remaining pan drippings and enough water to make 1/2 cup
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
Grated Lemon Zest (about 5 strokes on the rasp)
salt and pepper to taste

Mix the 2 tbsp pan drippings and flour in a small saucepan and whisk until smooth.  While continuously whisking, slowly pour in the remaining pan drippings, water and milk until smooth.  Keep whisking until thickened.  Could take up to 10 minutes.  Season with salt, pepper, red chilli flakes and lemon zest.

3 comments:

  1. These look so amazing, you are turning into a pretty amazing chef? Inshallah I wanna make these soon. you should be on "Chopped Canada"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx...I dont know about amazing..I have made some pretty bad stuff but I am learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea. Nice improvising. I'll try it tonight.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Tacos {Remake}