Mushroom Risotto

We really enjoyed the Spring Green Risotto I made a little while ago.  I had some arborio rice left and thought I would try to make a mushroom risotto.  I used the Porcini and Cremini Mushroom Orzo "Risotto" as a guideline.  It turned out really well and my 1 year old son loved it!  The next day it held up much better than the Spring Green Risotto.  I didn't put any cream cheese in it which helped it to not turn into a big pile of mush the next day.  I'm looking forward to trying more risotto recipes but it is something I wouldn't make regularly since it has a lot of starch.


Mushroom Risotto
Printer Friendly
 
1 onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp porcini mushrooms
3/4 hot water
5 cups vegetable stock
3/4 cup water
2 cups arborio rice
8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
3/4 tsp salt, or to taste
freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp parsley, minced
2 tbsp chive, finely sliced
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese

Soak porcini mushrooms in the hot water for at least 40 minutes.  Remove mushrooms, squeezing out the liquid and chop.  Into a pot pour the soaking liquid leaving any sediment in the bowl.  Add the vegetable stock.  Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to medium low to keep warm.

In a large saute pan, heat oil over medium heat.  Add onions and garlic and saute until soft.  Add cremini mushrooms and saute about 6 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.  Add porcini mushrooms and rice and mix for a minute.  Add the water and mix until most of the water has been absorbed.  Slightly reduce heat.  Add 1/2 cup of the broth at a time, mixing until most of it has been absorbed before adding the next 1/2 cup of broth.  Continue until all the broth is used and rice is tender but firm.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add the parsley, chives and Parmesan cheese.  Mix and serve immediately.

4 comments:

  1. Asi, do you use homemade veg stock or store bought?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used store bought. You can use homemade chicken broth instead too. I think that would make it taste even better. I used the store bought veg stock for convenience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this today for lunch! It turned out fantastic! I used spinach, white mushrooms and fresh basil instead ( I had those items on hand!) I followed your method and it turned out perfect. Not too mushy. Thanks again for posting this one!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEAH!!! I'm so glad it turned out good! Didn't you find it so easy to make compared to our desi salaans? Thx for commenting...I love it when I get comments!

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Tacos {Remake}