Aloo Gobi (Potato and Cauliflower Curry)

For a long time I've been looking for a good Aloo Gobi recipe.  My husband had gotten me the Best Ever Indian Cookbook a few years ago.  It really isn't a very good cookbook.  The pictures are really good but pictures can be deceiving.  All the recipes I've made turned out average at least until this one.  This is the best Aloo Gobi I've made to date.  When I saw this recipe I didn't have high hopes because of my past tries with recipes from this cookbook and this recipe didn't have any of the typical ingredients you find in all Indian recipes....onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic....but it actually turned out pretty good.  I love how there are no onions to chop and fry.  It makes this a quick dish to cook.  I didn't change any of the ingredients.  Just some slight modifications to the method.



Aloo Gobi
Best Ever Indian Cookbook
Printer Friendly

1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
2 potatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 green chilli, finely chopped
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp chilli powder (or to taste)
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
fresh coriander, chopped 

In a large pot of boiling water, boil potatoes for 10 minutes.  Drain well.  Add to the potatoes, ground coriander, ground cumin, chilli powder, turmeric and salt and mix well.  

Heat the oil in a large pan.  Add the cumin seeds and fry for about 2 minutes.  Add the green chilli and fry for another minute.  Add the cauliflower and fry for about 5 minutes.  Add the potatoes and cook for another 7-10 minutes or until the vegetable are tender.  Garnish with chopped coriander.  Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Tacos {Remake}