Beef with Broccoli 2

I really enjoyed Beef with Broccoli. But the amount of soya sauce was just way too much to be eaten on a regular basis.  I found another recipe which had a reasonable amount of soya sauce.  So I thought I would give it a try.  It had a more Chinese food taste than Beef with Broccoli.  I feel Beef with Broccoli was a much more tasty dish but I would make this version again too.  I used veal since I don't buy beef.  I used pasanday which is where they take a piece of meat and slice it really thin.  We don't have a lot of options of different cuts of meat at the Halal butcher.  I had to make a substitution for the Chinese rice wine. I used diluted apple cider vinegar.  You can also use orange juice as well.  I don't have Chinese black vinegar so I used balsamic vinegar (I got this substitution from The Pioneer Woman).  Something tasted like it was missing so I added sesame oil and sesame seeds at the end.



Beef with Broccoli 2
Adapted from New Asian Cuisine
Printer Friendly

Note: Please verify your balsamic vinegar is Halal prior to using.  Some manufacturers add wine after the vinegar is made making them Haram.  Refer to this post on My Halal Kitchen for more details regarding alcohol based vinegars.

1 lb veal (or beef) pasanday, thinly sliced against the grain
1 bunch broccoli, cut into bite-size florets
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp garlic, minced

Veal Marinade
1 1/2 tsp soya sauce
1 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp canola oil
Freshly ground pepper

Stir Fry Sauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp apple cider vinegar plus 1 tsp water
2 tsp balsamic vinegar

1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp sesame seeds

In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the marinade.  Add the veal and marinate for 10 minutes at room temperature.

In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the stir fry sauce.

In a pot bring 1 inch of water to boil.  Add the broccoli and cover to steam for about 3 minutes or until tender and crisp.  Drain.

In a wok, over high heat heat the canola oil.  Add the garlic and fry for 15-30 seconds, until fragrant.  Add the veal in one layer.  Cook for 30 seconds without touching.  Flip over and cook the other side for another 30-60 seconds.  (I had to do this in 2 steps to cook all the veal).

To the veal add the stir fry sauce and stir to combine.  Simmer until sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, approximately 30 seconds.  Add sesame oil and sprinkle sesame seeds.  Add broccoli and mix.  Serve with some hot rice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Tacos {Remake}